Monday, May 14, 2007

Feeding the picky eater

As Meg has already told you, I'll be spending the summer with my picky eater boyfriend, Greg. Since he is such a picky eater, it is a challenge to find recipes that he will enjoy, and a game of manipulation by allowing him to choose from various recipes so he can't say "I don't like so and so", because he chose it. So, I decided to go with an old faithful recipe for my first post, Lemon Garlic Chicken, and a new veggie recipe, Cheesy Cauliflower and Broccoli.
Lemon Garlic Chicken calls for :
Juice of one lemon
enough olive oil to coat the skillet
2 or 3 crushed diced garlic cloves (depending on the size, if they're small use more)
2 chicken breasts
seasoned fine bread crumbs
2 eggs, 1/3 cup of milk
shredded cheddar cheese

First, you must beat the eggs and milk together, then you dip the chicken breasts in the eggs and milk batter, drop the chicken breasts in a bag of dry bread crumbs and shake until coated. In the skillet, over medium, heat the olive oil, lemon juice and crushed diced garlic cloves, then drop the chicken in the pan and brown both sides. I'm paranoid about cooking chicken so I usually turn down the heat so it doesn't burn, and let it cook for a long while.
Don't slice it open to check for pinkness, it lets the juices run and then you'll end up with dry chicken. Once you're sure the chicken is done, shred some cheddar cheese on top if you'd like, and let melt for a couple minutes. I feel the cheddar cheese is a bit pointless, so I don't usually use it.

Cheesy broccoli and cauliflower calls for:
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 can milk
and 4 slices of cooked bacon, or more depending on your taste

First, you have to cook the broccoli and cauliflower, steaming it is healthier, but you can also boil it, only until tender crisp, so for a few minutes. In the meantime, heat the can of cheddar cheese soup with half a can of milk, then ad the cooked veggies to the soup, and ad crumbled bacon. Stir until all veggies are coated and bacon is mixed in.

And voila! Cheesy goodness with veggies and bacon, and lemony juicy chicken, fit for a picky eater.

I should mention that I used 3 chicken breasts instead of two because I didn't want the 3rd one to go bad in the fridge, so I used it anyway and split it in half for the two of us.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Mmmmm. Veggies and bacon. That sounds too good.