Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sometimes, less is more.

It is tomato season, and you know what that means in my house? Lots and lots of sandwiches and salads featuring everybody's favorite vegetable...er, fruit. I mean, even my little brother eats them, and he's the kind of guy who would make a meal out of only a big piece of steak (actually, this past weekend, he did - and I joined him, but I ate some humus afterward too).

And one thing my mom is good at is sandwiches. In particular, a VERY classic sandwich with tomatoes as a featured ingredient: BLTs. If it were possible to be in love with a sandwich, this would probably be my spouse (the utterly divine ham sandwich at Salvatore's in Halifax is a babe, but totally out of my league, unfortunately).

So since Tom, my little brother, spoiled my dreams of BLTs this weekend by preparing steak (and eating all the tomatoes in the house just to spite me), last night I finally got the sandwich I'd been craving for days. And oh, was it ever dreamy.

Since I made it myself, it wasn't quite as special as Mom's, but I know better than to complain. True love is true love, after all.


Music of the day: "Ganges a Go-Go" - Kalyanji and Anandji Shah with Dan the Automator and DJ Shadow, from the album Bombay the Hard Way: Guns, Cars and Sitars.

No comments: